Skip to main content

Day 13 &14

Getting it right is not a feeling I contend with often. Parenting a child with a life threatening food allergy really requires a constant balance between a healthy lifestyle and a healthy environment. After a  morning jam packed full of games and preschool (homeschooling) we needed to burn off some energy. With leggings, sneakers and long sleeves (even though it was in the 80's) we trooped over to the park before all of the kids got out of school and bombarded it with milk allergens. Despite my best attempts to wipe down the equipment, and her hands constantly to protect her, she still had an allergic reaction. This one was new and different from all of the others.

With this allergic reaction, for the first time, she complained that her throat hurt. I think I know what happened though. She saw a plastic Mickey Mouse ring in the grass and she picked it up. I immediately saw (Thank God) and told her to drop it because she can't touch things without asking Mommy. Before she could walk to me-- she had touched her face. I immediately wiped her hands, and face with a wet-one but it was already absorbed into her skin and swelling her face. I'm literally talking about 1 minute. She started to cry and told me then that her throat hurt. Later when the allergic reaction had subsided out of the "scary" phase, I talked to a neighbor who told me that the cupcakes at our local grocery store have Mickey Mouse rings on top. There must had been a heavy concentration of a milk protein residue on the ring. There are so many things in life that we can turn into a learning experience and, for Sophia, this reiterated to herself why she cannot randomly touch things.

On the following day, the next day mild reactions flared up throughout the day so we stayed home.  It usually takes 2-3 days after an allergen exposure to eliminate any allergic responses, and often with repeated Benedryl. We spent the day doing some mild landscaping and clean up around our yard which turned out to be a safe and fun activity for all. The beautiful things about kids is the way that they start every day a new with hopes and innate happiness, and don't seem to become hardened by challenges and negativity like adults do. I learn so much every day from my three-year-old by witnessing her strength and open heart in all circumstances. I know I try my best to get it right, but even when I don't I still have a little cheerleader that loves me unconditionally and there is STRENGTH to be found in that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun! (Even ones with Life Threatening Food Allergies)

Three years ago, we walked into our local Claires Store. My ,then, 4 year old had accomplished the scholastic feat of learning all of her continents, oceans, and the entire milky way!  I had been prodding her growth with promises of something from the store, as a sort of reward. Claires ( http://www.claires.com)  is such a fun store for girls, and the girlie side of us women! My daughters made their way through the sparkle and frills and back to the Disney princess lip-glosses for kids. I bought one and thought "it worked! The knowledge and the bribe were complete!" But, as she ripped off the wrapping to her new lipgloss in the car and applied her new sparkly, "fun" lip gloss--our worlds changed! Her face began to swell with hives. I was driving and looking back on her telling me something was wrong and what I saw made me grow scared, really, really scared.  I pulled over and jumped out of my vehicle and got to her. I wiped off the lipgloss and washed her face with

Can We Really Have It All?

We Can All "Have It All" So do you believe women can have it all? Can anyone? Isn't there an opportunity cost to everything? Do some people "have it all", or is it just the opportunity cost playing a lesser role in their priorities. I don't really think anybody "has it all". I think everything is a matter of perspective, and subject to your value system.   We are raised within this capitalistic, media driven perception that we want to be rich, famous, beautiful, have "things, be "someone" etc. Aren't we already someone? In our own little world's, aren't  we are all of those roles to someone? We are wealthier than someone, idealized by someone, have a "better" job than someone, everything is a perception we either value and hold onto tightly, or we don't and we develop an attitude of complaining that, I've seen, last a lifetime. What's real? Shouldn't we seek the blessings in our circumstances ins

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words?

The Story Behind the Picture    I  worry sometimes that this media sensationalized, ideal sense of "perfection" is vitally harming the younger generations. "Perfection" is a feeling, not an image. Feeling everything is going "perfectly" etc. But, we live in a materialistic, superficial world- where we are innately taught to perceive ourselves by our struggles or shortcomings, instead of searching for our gifts. We all have special gifts, and I hope our new growing generation learns to see beneath the surface enough to notice that in each other. It's not that everyone is the same and everyone deserves a trophy (and that whole plethora of an argument), it's more about appreciating differences and learning to seek the gift of individuality. There's a BIG difference. Our kids are being raised in a global, e-commerce, social media driven, multicultural world. We need to stay current with the changing world when raising kids today, in order to prote