Skip to main content

Day 8

I'm obsessed with a book I just received called "Go Dairy Free". Among the scrumptious recipes, insight to shopping milk-free, and calcium absorption and getting enough, it has so much dedicated research on the health benefits of living a milk-free lifestyles.
We've decided to take this food allergy on as a family unit and, so therefore, we all live a milk-free lifestyle in our home. Why risk a danger to one of our members? I call us "Meagan's"because we are meat-eating-vegans. Because of this lifestyle change, we have come across a lot of research linked to pesticides and their harmful affects causing disease, food allergy, and cancers which have ultimately shifted our thoughts about milk from a "have to go without" to a "want to go without" mentality.  Having milk around our child is "reckless". We have a "No Milk Allowed" sign at our front door so I get comments on a regular basis regarding it. The most popular thing I hear is "how do you all go without milk, cheese, and butter". It really is easy if you're not eating out or buying processed food, which is best for us anyway right? The hardest thing we face is social events for the kids. Pizza, ice cream, and birthday cakes are the hardest (socially speaking) because it means our children can't partake in fun events with their friends. Sadly, there are so many delicious alternatives to these options that aren't explored by the general public because it doesn't pertain to them, or so they think.
I saw a commercial this morning for a Feed the Poor type of organization. They advertised a plan that, for $25 a month,  you could "save a life"! It dawned on me that for free you could help save my daughter's and all children with food allergies. All it would take is some morally just actions. I'm not saying to not feed the poor, because I do think that giving unto others is our moral responsibility. I'm simply saying that it takes very little effort to pop a $25 check in the mail. It takes a real effort to simply be conscientious about what you're eating and exposing children with life threatening food allergies to. We as a society have the power to do and change anything. Think about that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun! (Even ones with Life Threatening Food Allergies)

Three years ago, we walked into our local Claires Store. My ,then, 4 year old had accomplished the scholastic feat of learning all of her continents, oceans, and the entire milky way!  I had been prodding her growth with promises of something from the store, as a sort of reward. Claires ( http://www.claires.com)  is such a fun store for girls, and the girlie side of us women! My daughters made their way through the sparkle and frills and back to the Disney princess lip-glosses for kids. I bought one and thought "it worked! The knowledge and the bribe were complete!" But, as she ripped off the wrapping to her new lipgloss in the car and applied her new sparkly, "fun" lip gloss--our worlds changed! Her face began to swell with hives. I was driving and looking back on her telling me something was wrong and what I saw made me grow scared, really, really scared.  I pulled over and jumped out of my vehicle and got to her. I wiped off the lipgloss and washed her face with

Day 40-43 Happy Endings

Sophia loves stories. She mostly loves the emotional journey a story takes you through that ends with everything being okay. She likes to see other people's struggles and how they work through them. She will stop what she's doing to hear about somebody who's sad or hurt. I've thought about this in the past as her being nosy or a bit of a drama queen. Now, I see it as her compassion for others and maybe her own coping mechanism for the emotional demands of her her condition To a 3 year old, a life threatening food allergy can be traumatic. There is, in it's own right, an emotional process coupled with uncomfortable physical reactions. It's scary and hard to understand. My lingo with Sophia is telling her that I will keep her safe. That's my way of communicating with her that she can relax and have fun, and Mommy will make sure that nothing scary happens to her. When she has  contact reactions she cries in fear and pain and runs to me telling me to "kee

Day 4

The holiday's can be challenging for families living with food allergies. Creating a safe environment, most of the time, means hosting all food events. For my house it also means asking everyone to wash their hands upon arrival and taking off their shoes. There's always that hidden worry that someone ate milk proteins before coming over and there's a morsel lingering on their clothes. But we do what we have to do to keep our family and friend relationships moving on the same path. It's so much easier to isolate your child and yourself  but at what cost? Altering family recipes with safe ingredients has to happen because really what's a family recipe when all of the family can't enjoy it? We are so truly blessed to have a family that tries their best and makes things possible for us to be so close. If we can't get through to the one's who love us then how can we expect the rest of the world to listen?