Skip to main content

Year 2 begins...

When I originally began this blog, it was my intention to document one year in the food allergy lifestyle. I wanted to expose and shed light on the truths, obstacles and how they're overcome with positive intention. I wanted food allergy outsiders to see what it's all about. I wanted to articulate the difference between feeling sorry for us and feeling apart of it. I always say how I think it's absurd to feel sorry for us. We have a beautiful, brilliant, healthy daughter we are so blessed. If people want to place a feeling they should feel motivated to do what they can to make shared environments safe. The continuous and deliberate efforts, and the acts of compassion that shape and define the growing group of people called food allergy parents, and their children who persevere while creating the new "normal" example of a happy childhood. I have since realized I have more to say because, although we have been at this for 5 years, it is, after all, just the beginning. So this is the second chapter of this now annual blog.

Year 2

Living with a life threatening food allergy is an intentional and inspiring journey. In a world made up of conveniences and speed, we are in many ways not on the same highway as others. We don't partake in many conveniences, instead, we intentionally make our own lives without simply existing a certain way because others do. We create and conjure up idea's that are outside of the box and within the safety of our new existence. This adjustment is difficult in the beginning because as new parents you look to everyone and anyone for instructions. As a food allergy parent you'll feel isolated, unconsidered, and frustrated that your kids can't do some things others kids can. Then, if you're like me, that vulnerability creates strength. You stop looking at the situation as something be "wrong" and start looking at people who aren't trying to understand it as the problem.

In the beginning of the food allergy journey it's very easy to feel isolated, forgotten, and left out. There's a period where you're transitioning lifestyles and nothing matches what you think you want. Everything seems discouraging. Everyday feels lonely and frustrating, and nobody seems to understand or care. You can't lean on anybody, not even your family. Everybody seems too caught up in "figuring out" the allergy or placing attention elsewhere instead of just doing what works and learning how they can help keep your child safe, but gaining a clue on how their actions are hurting your child. Getting through this struggle may be one of the hardest because there's nothing worse than feeling unsupported and your child not being safe with your own family. It's a stark reminder of the uphill battle you'll be facing with complete strangers. I made a rule early on that nobody could watch my daughter if they weren't family and understood how to keep her safe according MY comfortability.

You keep trying to make the square peg fit into the circle---making allergen-safe versions of everything nostalgic to childhood. You spend your days trying to be "normal" and apologizing for the things that make you different. "I'm sorry, but my daughter is having an allergic reaction and we need to leave." "I'm sorry, but we cannot come into your home because my daughter is severely allergic to your dietary lifestyle." "I'm so sorry but would mind not opening that Gogurt, my daughter is severely allergic." The period is quite variable in time. A lot depends on the people around you and how they either support you or don't. I find my greatest motivation from the people who don't. I feel a sense of need and urgency to their inconsiderations. I feel motivated to fix this problem before my daughter faces it someday without me.

I think it is a wonderful thing to feel supported, but it can also be deceiving. People can announce their support and fail to show it through their actions. This is the worst kind of deceit for food allergy families. Our lives are filled with people shooting out right answers that lack intention. Inevitably we fall back on ourselves, finding comfort in knowing our own efforts and actions. Instead of guessing and assuming others'. Within this bubble of safety and endless questions, we do find peace. When we find our strength and voice we get peace of mind. It's the feeling that hind sight is 20/20 and you wished you knew then what you know now, but the opposite. It's knowing that what your doing is not only working, but your child is thriving! That what your doing is shaping and strengthening your household, an entire family, and community. Feeling that your getting through, feeling heard, and creating confidence in your child through your voice as you help them to find theirs. A voice that someday will echo in them and they will build their whole life based on the tools you provided them. I think that's what it feels like to be doing what you're meant to be doing.

Year 2 of this blog is a confident one. I can't wait to share everything I've learned.

xoxox




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 59-65 "What is anaphylaxis"

All parent's of young children living with a life threatening food allergy live in a constant, round the clock state of fear. Fear of the unknown, fear that our children cannot communicate their immediate needs and symptoms, and fear of putting anyone else in charge of managing this extremely dangerous allergy. Releasing control and delegating responsibilities is definitely where I struggle the most because, for me, handing that over to another person can be the biggest mistake I make. I'm not at all worried that a caregiver would not follow our rules and feed my darling junk food or too much sugar, let her watch too much TV, not use her manners, or let her negotiate her way on everything--- like most parent's would be concerned with. I'm worried that they might misread an ingredient, and show up at my house with cow's milk proteins lingering on their body or garments. I'm worried that they are oblivious to the MANY different ways that milk proteins are presen...

Perpetuating circumstances...

Seeking out the responsible culprits causing allergic reactions is an all encompassing role as a FA parent.  When your child is touch allergic in addition to ingestion and airborne exposures the speculations are greater. I cannot count how many times my little one has had an allergic reaction to something unknown to us, leaving us to retrace every movement we've made.  Could something be on the neighbors ball that we just played together with? Could it be something in the rubber on the balloon? Maybe something on the outside of a plastic grocery bag that a grocery clerk transferred proteins to after touching others people's milk items first? Did someone wear their shoes in our home and leave residual milk proteins somewhere? Where is this invisible milk protein lingering so we can clean it or avoid it?! It's a perpetual feeling that you didn't think of "everything" and you let your child down. We really do think of things on a microscopic level, and that's...

Healthier Food Allergy Awareness Week!

Good day food allergy families and family members! It's Food Allergy Awareness week, so I wanted to share some intriguing and magnificent news that I've learned in hopes to educate and support others.  *ALLERGIES INSPIRE HEALTH As a "food allergy mom" to a child with a milk allergy (among other new ones), I've learned more about food than I ever thought I'd have an interest to. Removing your child and family from the billion dollar milk BIG BUSINESS industry has changed our lives. As most people look at us with pity and bewilderment about how a human can survive without milk, we find ourselves soaring into unchartered territory and thriving! We've learned so much about the food industry that has completely changed our lives ...for the better. It's a one way road to the effect that once you learn something, you can never "unlearn" it. In fact, the challenges that food allergy families face come more from lack of compassion toward safety, unwil...